BASTL INSTRUMENTS DYNAMO
Dynamo is combination of 3 utility modules: envelope follower, comparator and voltage controlled switch. It combines Envelope Follower and comparator to extract gate from the envelope. On top of that there is full-wave rectifier output |EF IN| and Compressor CV curve generator.
When the Compressor CV is plugged into CV input of a VCA with offset and attenuator knobs you get an Compressor! Threshold knob on Dynamo sets the compressor threshold, Offset on the VCA sets the gain and the attenuator on the CV input sets the ratio of compression (which can also go negative). This allows you to create compressor type of effect from anything: VCA, tube module, VCF or anything that comes to your rack!
The other trick of the Dynamo is the voltage controlled switch section in combination with the full-wave rectifier and comparator. All pre-normalised and for what reason ? Make “fake thru-zero modulation” with anything you like! Define what happens when the negative modulation is happening and adjust the zero crossing point with CV. The whole world of very deep modulations is waiting for you now…
… and it is totally bonkers!
- Two passively connected Envelope Follower inputs (multiple)
- Inverted and non-inverted Envelope Follower Output
- Full-wave Rectifier Output |EF IN|
- Compressor CV Output with indication LED (only negative voltage when envelope is greater than the threshold)
- THR-EF output is similar to compressor CV but can go to positive voltages – it tilts the whole compressor dynamics curve (not only the part above threshold)
- selectable Envelope Follower Release time (Short, Mid, Long)
- Output of Envelope Follower is normalised to Comparator Input
- Comparator with Threshold knob, Threshold CV, Input and Output
- Output of Comparator is normalised to the Gate of VCS
- Voltage Controllable Switch is bi-directional (non-buffered) A or B switch
- VCS Gate threshold is around 1.5 volts
- On high gate the B signal is connected with A or B connector (otherwise it is A)
- Signal on A is inverted and normalized to B (easily achieve bi-polar VCA emulation or other waveshaping)